Have you noticed most of our recipes are liquids (and involve alcohol)? We never said we were the greatest cooks…
We taught you how to make sangria back in July when it still felt appropriate to sip a chilled drink (doesn’t it seem like summer was just yesterday??), so this week we’re fall-izing—new verb—our favorite summertime drink and showing you how to make mulled wine.
It’s fruity like sangria, but warm and spicy like that oh-so infamous autumn latte you probably have in your hand right now (we certainly do).
Let’s get cooking. The sooner we start, the sooner we drink. Bottoms up!
What You Need
- 1 bottle of red wine (you should always have this on hand anyway)
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise (those fancy star shaped spices you always see in fancy drinks)
What You Do
- Dump all of the ingredients into a non-aluminum saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Yes – all of them.
- When it gets a little bubbly, reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes. The longer it sits, the warmer and spicier it becomes.
- Strain out the orange slices and spices, and use the extra orange slices, cinnamon sticks and star anise as garnish.
- Slip on your mittens and sip away!
A Step Further
Feeling too lazy to go out and buy all the ingredients for a festive cocktail yourself? You’re going to LOVE this… You can now purchase Cocktail Courier gift cards in all markets on Giftbar.com — All. Markets.
If you’ve never heard of them, Cocktail Courier is a service that delivers a box containing all the ingredients you need to make the world’s best cocktails. Each month, they feature top local bartenders who mix up their award-winning cocktails for you to try at home… And then they (the drinks, not the bartenders) are sent right to your doorstep. Dreams really do come true.
Thanks to Gimme Some Oven for the recipe. Our mouths were watering just looking at Ali’s photos. She’s good.